Saturday, January 11, 2014

Vegetarian Chili

Chili, need I say more? I made this pot of chili for my family while we watched the San Francisco 49ers defeat Green Bay last weekend. We had it with hot dogs (veggie for me!) and baked potatoes. Mmm, I still have a cup in the fridge for lunch tomorrow. 

One of the reasons I love this meal is because it's so easy, and it's so delicious! Being a vegetarian can be hard if you don't have good versions of mainstream meals. I usually come across chili with corn in it, and I despise corn in chili, so I'm glad this pot is so easy to throw together.

Oh so good!

Ingredients
  • 1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained
  • 1 15 oz can black beans, drained
  • 1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 medium bell pepper, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 1 small can (4 oz) tomato paste
  • 1 8 oz can tomato sauce (fire roasted if available)
  • 1 jumbo can (26 oz?)  crushed tomatoes, fire roasted
  • 1 packet chili seasoning
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 pepper (diced) from a small can (8 oz) of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
    • Either one pepper diced, or 1/3 of the adobo sauce in the can

Instructions
  • saute bell pepper, onion, and garlic
  • add of of the ingredients and cook on medium high until everything starts to bubble. Lower heat to low/medium-low.
  • simmer in pot (at least 20 minutes works best for us, but it can stay on the stove for a while if cooked on low) 
Serve with cheese, sour cream, raw chopped onions, chips, hot dogs, baked potatoes, or any other dish that's screaming for some delicious chili. Mmm, chili.

Chili dog with mustard!




No comments:

Post a Comment