Sunday, January 12, 2014

Breakfast Hash Egg Scramble


This morning was hectic. We had to hurry up and get breakfast started so we could watch the Niners defeat the Panthers!! However, we were short some of our favorite breakfast staples. No bread products, and no hashbrowns. Sure, we had eggs, but how much fun is it eating a plain old egg? Boo.

So, I improvised.

I knew I had veggies, cheese, sausage (turkey breakfast sausage), but I wanted some starch! I checked the freezer, and voila: frozen crinkle cut french fries! I know, this sounds crazy, but I wouldn't be writing a blog about this meal if it wasn't a hit in my house.

So I did what any sane person would do; I made a big old skillet of breakfast hash/egg scramble!


May not look the prettiest, but it was tasty!

I'm not going to get too into specific measurements in this post because I truly believe this is one that should be tweaked according to your preference and how many people are eating it. I'll just let you know what I used in parenthesis, but be aware this fed my family of 3.

Also, I made two versions of this today because I wanted to make a meat-filled one for Michael and Michelle. So I'll just list all of the ingredients, and you decide what you want to add or omit. Here we go! 

Ingredients:
  • Eggs (I used 5), whisked and seasoned with salt and pepper
  • Bell Pepper (1 large), chopped
  • Onion (1 medium), chopped
  • Mushrooms (about 5 or 6), sliced
  • Turkey breakfast sausage (not in links, just the kind in a big tube)
  • Shredded cheese (we used about 1/4 cup total)
  • Crinkle cut fries (thawed or nuked, and chopped into chunks. We used two servings)
  • Salt and Pepper - don't leave it out!
  • Butter and Oil
Instructions:
  • Defrost, or nuke crinkle fries. 
    • chop into chunks, set aside.

  • Chop your veggies
  • saute in order of cook time. I started with bell peppers. 


  • Add in any veggies that will be in every egg scramble served. We both like onions, so I threw them in the skillet. 


  • Whisk your eggs and season them
    • set aside until end.



  •  Saute other veggies. In this case, saute the mushrooms.
    •  I like to do it in butter and oil - tastes better.
    • notice I'm doing them seperate? I love the taste of mushrooms in things, but I don't like eating them whole. I know, I know.

  • Cook your meat of choice, here we cooked the sausage.

  •  Now, throw everything you want in each scramble into the pan (except the eggs).
    • this is your chance to cook the potatoes and get them nice and crispy.
    • Make sure to season everything with salt, pepper, and even a little garlic powder.
    • I had two skillets at this point, one for the meat-eaters, one for the vegetarian mama.

MINE.

THEIRS
  •  Once everything is cooked to perfection, toss in your whisked eggs and the cheese. Cook until done!



And that's it!

meat-lovers on the left, veggies to the right!

Serve it up with your favorite sides, toast (wish we had some), and some delicious toppings (chives, avocado, salsa, hot sauce, or my favorite... ketchup!





No matter what you put on it, it's good! It's one of those one-pot-meals that a mama loves to make, and Michelle likes to eat! Michael eats anything I make, bless his heart.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment