Thursday, January 9, 2014

Best Baked Potato



Why have an entry for something as easy and simple to make as a baked potato? Because up until a month ago, I didn't know how to make a great baked potato! I had so many questions, but felt stupid asking. Do I wrap it in foil? Do I have to poke it? What temp do I cook it at, and for how long?!

So many questions, but here are the answers!

Do I wrap it in foil? No, unless you want a softer skin, then sure! But let's be real, soft skin? No way. It's all about the crispy skin!
 Is it necessary to poke it with a fork before baking? Yes! They'll explode if you don't. I guess you could risk it, but why? 
How long do I cook it? What temp? Read below! 

Ingredients:

  • Russet Potatoes (they are the best for baking. Skin gets crispy, insides get fluffy, I get happy)
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Garlic Powder
  • Your favorite toppings (see mine below!)
Supplies
  • Baking sheet lined with foil
  • A skewer or fork to pierce the potato
Instructions
  • Pre-heat the oven to 425°F. 
  • Rub the potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
  • Pierce the potatoes a few times with a fork or skewer. 
  • Cook the potatoes for 45 to 60 minutes, until their skin is crispy and they are easily pieced with a fork.
Look at that crispy flavorful skin!

After letting my potato cool a bit, I like to slice it open, sprinkle the inside with more salt and pepper, then plop on a large dollop of cottage cheese. Yes, cottage cheese! Sounds weird, right? But it's so good. Trust me. If you like butter, sour cream, and/or cheese on your potato, you'd probably like cottage cheese on it. It makes it creamy, cheesy, and fluffy. Mmm mmm goooood.

Sometimes I'll add bacon bits (the soy kind for me), chives or green onions, and maybe a scoop of my delicious vegetarian bean chili.

This makes a great side dish, or even the main event! Enjoy!


Look at this delicious thing. You know you want to eat it. Go ahead, treat yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment