Sunday, October 2, 2011

Breastfeeding!

Today I got a newletter in my inbox, from a natural mother website, about breastfeeding. This newsletter said that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding for at least one year, and the World Health Organization says at least two. Then, it goes on to say this "in the United States, most mothers do not breastfeed their babies past 6 months, and only 5% are still breastfeeding at 18 months."

Today I want to talk about breastfeeding. My mom said that I was breastfed the longest out of my sister and me...3 (to 6?) months. My younger sister had horrible colic, and the only thing she could hold down was soy milk. God willing, I plan on breastfeeding my children until they are at least one. This is very important to me, as there are so many benefits to breastfeeding. The merits are way too long to list, here are some links to the awesomeness of the teat! Benefits and merits!

Michael and I have talked about breastfeeding until one, and it's something we both agree on, and think is beneficial. I am so lucky to have a partner that will stand up for me and the choices we make. I definitely need a strong support system, as many people find breastfeeding distasteful, embarrassing, gross, or something to be ashamed of. People often link breastfeeding to sex; which is creepy and disturbing. Yes, my breasts are sexy, but they have an original, natural purpose, and it is to sustain life! I think that trumps sex any day. Anyways, having Michael stand by my side will help when I hear things like "you still breastfeed!?" when my kid is 9 months, or "ew, that's gross" when breasts are MADE for this job. 

I guess getting that article sparked something in my mind. I have always known I would breastfeed, but hearing how little "popularity" it has in the US scares me. I don't want to feel like I  have to hide when I feed my child (I plan on wearing nursing covers, not just whipping out my nips in public) somewhere people are around. Shoot.

Many people say things about what it means to be a woman, like wearing sexy clothes, or gossip, or being sensitive..but honestly, the most womanly thing I can think of is having a baby (which only a woman can do) and breastfeeding it (again, only a woman can do). Our society has become to obsessed with sex and the ideas of to whom a vagina or breast belongs, that our most natural and instinctive acts become a gross misuse of part/product. I, for one, am proud to be a woman, and I will use my parts for their intended purpose without shame or embarrassment. 

This all being said, some mothers can't breastfeed, and some babies wont latch on or can't handle their mother's milk. Those woman are no less womanly or awesome..sometimes life just doesn't work out in the ways we want/expect. Those mothers still do awesome things to bond with their children and give them the BEST nutritional options available. They should never feel guilty either, nature is nature, and sometimes a baby cannot naturally handle/take the teat.

Here ends my random, liberal rant for the day. Sorry if I offended; but honestly, if I did offend, you need to reread this blog and get the point. It's natural!
Wooooo boobies!

2 comments:

  1. So, isn't the reason that big boobs, and shapely hips are sexy because the animal portion of a mans brain notices that those features mean you would be a good breeder? Sorry if that sounds crude, but thats how I understand it. So, with that being the case, how is actually putting those things to use distasteful? Our culture baffles me sometimes.

    You're going to be a wonderful mommy, and you whipping your boobs out often wont freak me out at all. Just so you know. Also, by the time I'm ready to have a kid, I'll have probably gotten all the information I need from this little blog. I've already learned some really useful stuff.

    Don't worry about what people say to you either, you know what you're doing and you know whats best for you and your child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breastfeeding is one of the best choices I've made in my life so far. I really enjoy the bonding it's brought me and my ittle one. It has made him feel like an extension of myself. My initial plan was to bf til he was 6mos and then wean him but once I actually started bf'ing, it just made sense to continue to a year.

    ReplyDelete