Thursday, August 15, 2013

A Big Move!

As I mentioned in my last post, Michael got a one-year transfer to a job in Yreka, Ca. Yreka is a super small town, that seems as if it was made to let people rest on their way from Oregon to California. There are 2 grocery stores, a Walmart, and a few other known stores. No Starbucks, no Target, no Safeway. There are the typical fast food places (McD, BK, Taco Bell), lots of places to get tires, snow chains, and other necessities before filling up your tank and heading off to your destination. I think Yreka's town motto should be "Yreka: a beautiful pit-stop before going on your way." I mean it, Yreka is surrounded by hills and the gorgeous Mt Shasta. Every morning we are greeted by deer on the lawn, and a cool breeze through the windows.

When I first found out about the transfer, I was devastated. Yreka is 4 hours away from home, and 45 minutes away from the creature comforts we're used to. However, I decided to adopt a positive mindset. I figure, I'm a stay at home mom so I can care for my family, and it's my job to make sure everyone feels happy, safe, and loved. Michael brings home the proverbial bacon, and it's my job to maintain our mental well-being. I think it's helped Michael and Michelle with this big transition. And you know what they say, fake it til you make it (in some cases!).



Our house is quaint and adorable. I am going to be sad to leave a one-story house. Michelle loves the freedom of running from her room to the kitchen and the livingroom without me at her heels I can hear/see her from pretty much any place in the house. We're actually only going to be here for a few months before the Yreka job is down for the winter, then we're most likely off to Redding until the spring, when we come back up here. I feel conflicted about that. On one hand, I'm sad to leave this cute little house we've already set up, but at the same time I'm excited to be closer to home, we're familiar with Redding (we lived there for a year on another job), and we won't have to worry about getting stuck in the snow on the mountain over the holidays. I can handle a 2 1/2 hour drive home almost every weekend; it's the 4 hour drive that makes me want to stay up here as much as possible.

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment