Friday, August 30, 2013

40 lbs down, Happy, and Healthy

I am pleased, and a little shocked, to say that I am down 40 lbs since starting to change my diet and lifestyle. These past 4 months have been amazing for my health, self-esteem, and credit card (lol). I keep thinking to myself that I look exactly the same, but then I try on size 8-10 pants and they fit, or I catch sight of some old picture of me that makes me do a double take. I never felt huge before, I just felt chubby. But man, I've come a long way and I feel like I could still lose 10-20 more pounds and look good.

In these past four months I went from being "obese" with a BMI of 31.6 to "overweight", to just barely dipping my toes in the high end of the "healthy weight" range with a BMI of 24.8. I know that there is a lot of controversy with using BMI, especially for women, but seeing "obese" on a chart with my little star next to it was horrifying for me. I've had plenty of doctors tell me I was just overweight and to focus on eating right, but I couldn't get that "obese" label out of my head. I'm officially over worrying about BMI, but it felt good to put it down that I am not "obese" anymore. Lol.

Let me clarify, I don't think people that are obese should freak out and start obsessing about their weight and labels being put on them. I think people in general should think about eating healthy and staying active - regardless of size. Our insides need nutrition, our bodies need exercise. All of us.

This month I am going to start an exercise challenge to get myself into a good routine of staying active and working on my general fitness. I created a little calendar (below) and I've already got a few brave souls ready to try it with me! I got a little ambitious by putting down push-ups (I can barely do ONE!) but I figure I've got to push myself in order to get better. Even if I fail the push-up portion of my challenge, I'll still consider it a win if I stick with it every day.

If anyone wants to do it with me, comment on this blog, or post on my SP or FB profiles! I'd love to have people to keep me accountable :)


No comments:

Post a Comment